Occasionally I get ocular migraines where my vision in one eye is blurred and after it clears I get a massive headache where it feels like someone is stabbing my brain with a knife.
Here's how I deal with them.
1. Chocolate milkshakes. Doctors don't know exactly what causes migraines, but they do agree that chocolate milkshakes help them. It's just science.
2. Curl up in ball beneath your desk. When these migraines come on but I have important conference calls scheduled, it's best to put the speaker phone on and curl up in a ball beneath my desk. Just say "Huh-huh" alot and "But what do you think?"
3. Drink fluids. I recommend chocolate milkshakes, Coca-Cola, and, oh yeah, water.
4. Pet animals. Petting animals releases "feel good" hormones such as serotonin, prolactin and oxytocin. Which is why I have brought my cat to work and keep him in my filing cabinet. Don't worry, I cut holes in it and keep him well fed.
5. Fresh air. Stick your head out the window. Breathe in. Breathe out. Breathe in. Breath out. Great job, you know how to breathe.
6. Party. You have to do something to take your mind of your migraine.
7. Cold packs on your forehead. Or stick your head in the freezer for a few hours.
8. Tequila. Obviously.
9. Write lists. You have to do something when you're in the fetal position under your desk.
10. Positive self talk. Even though you are under a desk curled up, it doesn't mean you shouldn't have some positive self talk. Say how beautiful you are, how smart, how intelligent. How brave for lying down under the desk drinking tequila writing lists and taking conference calls.